ANN ARBOR, MI – The Ann Arbor Area Transportation Authority (TheRide) in partnership with the Washtenaw County Health Department is announcing transportation to the COVID vaccine site at the Eastern Michigan University (EMU) Convocation Center. Service will begin Wednesday, March 17. Anyone with a scheduled appointment at the Washtenaw County Health Department’s vaccine site may use the services. Transportation is being provided at no cost to the rider, as the service and fares will be paid for using the federal Coronavirus Aid Relief and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) funding.
“TheRide is grateful to be able to support our community by providing this service,” Bryan D. Smith, Deputy CEO of Operations at TheRide said. “Thanks to CARES Act Funding, we’re able to provide access in our community and help eligible residents in our area, who otherwise would not have the ability to get to the Washtenaw County Health Department’s vaccine clinic. We thank Golden Limousine for their help in coordinating the FlexRide service for those individuals not within our fixed-route service area.”
“This is an important step in making our mass vaccination site at EMU more accessible. We’re thankful to the TheRide for working with us to provide transportation at no cost to riders,” Jimena Loveluck, MSW, health officer of the Washtenaw County Health Department said. “As supplies and options for getting vaccinated locally increase, we encourage everyone to get vaccinated as soon as they have the opportunity to do so.”
Washtenaw County Health Department operates the mass vaccination site at EMU Convocation Center with staffing support from St. Joseph Mercy Ann Arbor, the National Guard, hundreds of volunteers, and the partnership of Eastern Michigan University.
Shuttles and demand response services are available for individuals who have made an appointment to get a COVID vaccine at the EMU Convocation Center. Services will operate Wednesday – Saturday from 10:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. All passengers are required to wear a mask when waiting for and riding public transportation.
Transportation Services to the Washtenaw County Health Department COVID Vaccine Site:
Shuttle Service from Ann Arbor and Ypsilanti to the EMU Convocation Center vaccine site: Ann Arbor: Shuttles start at the Blake Transit Center on 4th Ave and use the Route 32 boarding location
- Ypsilanti: Shuttles start at the Ypsilanti Transit Center on Pearl St. and use the Route 5 boarding location
- All Shuttles drop off and pick up using the COVID Vaccine Center entry and exit doors.
- The shuttles operate every 30 minutes
- The shuttles are limited to 20 individuals per vehicle.
A-Ride service to the EMU Convocation Center vaccine site:
- Starting on Wednesday, March 17, A-Ride trips to the EMU Convocation center are provided at no cost for customers with an A-Ride Identification Card
- When making your reservation, mention that you are traveling to the EMU Convocation Center for your vaccine. Will-Call return trips arranged when making a reservation will be honored.
FlexRide demand response service from locations outside TheRide’s fixed route service area in Ypsilanti, Pittsfield, Scio and Superior Townships to the EMU Convocation Center vaccine site:
- Visit MyFlexRide.org or call 734-794-0377 to make a reservation.
- Each trip on FlexRide is limited to one household per trip
- FlexRide services are provided through a contract with Golden Limousine.
To reduce the spread of COVID-19, TheRide has established the following preventive measures and restrictions to keep both riders and drivers safe:
- Customers are required to wear a face covering, per federal law
- The driver is to be approached for emergencies only
- Buses cleaned with CDC recommended protocols
- Transit centers are open for customer transactions only
- Social distancing signs are posted at transit centers and in buses
- Fewer passengers allowed on each bus
- Plastic barriers added to separate drivers and riders
- Sanitation supplies provided to employees
- Masks, gloves and face shields are provided for drivers use
- Lost and Found collection has been temporarily suspended
The latest information on TheRide’s routes, schedules and detours are available at TheRide.org or by calling (734) 996-0400.