Learn about updates at virtual town hall meetings
ANN ARBOR, MI – The Ann Arbor Area Transportation Authority (TheRide) is making its first update to the Temporary Service Plan that started in August. The Temporary Service Plan is a simplified network of routes focused on travel to essential destinations and frequent service to reduce overcrowding. The first update will begin Sunday, November 22 and includes restoring service in Western Ann Arbor, where there currently is no transportation option.
TheRide will be hosting virtual town hall meetings to share the adjustments to fixed routes and FlexRide-East, introduce updates to its Title VI Program, and provide information on its new mobile ticketing system, EZfare.
The service updates that begin Sunday, November 22 include:
- The boarding location at the Blake Transit Center will be relocated
- The route that starts at the Blake Transit Center will be adjusted to serve Target on Waters Rd.
- Service will be restored east of S. Maple with routing adjusted to operate in one direction, every 30 minutes with service on Madison, Seventh, Scio Church, S. Maple, Pauline, Stadium and Franklin
- This route has been suspended by Eastern Michigan University due to the College of Business moving to Central College
- This route will be temporarily suspended due to the University of Michigan extended break. Service will resume January 18, 2021
- Weekend service is being added to the FlexRide-East service area in Ypsilanti Township. Operating hours on Saturday and Sunday will be from 7:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m. with the last drop off no later than 7:00 p.m.
TheRide is encouraging the public to attend an interactive town hall information session to learn more. The 45-minute meetings will include opportunities for citizens to ask questions and provide feedback on:
- The Temporary Service Plan Updates
- The Title VI Program Updates
- Mobile ticketing, and
- FlexRide Services
“We continue to take a very cautious approach to adding back service,” Bryan D. Smith, Deputy CEO of Operations at TheRide said. “The service adjustments that begin in November is our next step towards restoring services.”
The interactive virtual town hall meetings will be conducted through Zoom at the following times:
Date / Times
- Wednesday, November 4, 2020 / 12:00 p.m.
- Wednesday, November 4, 2020 / 6:00 p.m.
- Thursday, November 5, 2020 / 6:00 p.m.
- Tuesday, November 10, 2020 / 6:00 p.m.
Participants will be able to join the meeting by phone and computer. To find out how to join a virtual town hall session, visit TheRide.org or call 734-996-0400. Closed captioning will be available.
To reduce the spread of COVID-19, TheRide has established the following preventive measures and restrictions to keep both riders and drivers safe:
- Customers are required to wear a face mask
- The driver is to be approached for emergencies only
- Buses are cleaned with CDC recommended protocols
- Social distancing is encouraged with signs posted at transit centers and in buses
- Fewer passengers are allowed on each bus at any one time
- Plastic barriers are added to separate drivers and riders
- Sanitation supplies are provided to employees
- Masks, gloves and face shields are also provided for drivers
- Lost and Found collection has been temporarily suspended
- Transit centers remain closed except for customer transactions, where applicable
The latest information on TheRide’s routes, schedules and detours are available at TheRide.org or by calling (734) 996-0400.