ANN ARBOR, MI – The Ann Arbor Area Transportation Authority (TheRide) has announced additional social distancing measures in an effort to help stop the spread of COVID-19. To adhere to Governor Whitmer’s Executive Order 2020-21 which temporarily suspends activities that are not necessary to sustain or protect life, TheRide reminds the community to ride the bus for essential trips only.
TheRide’s social distancing measures include:
- Signs that encourage riders to keep six feet between each other have been placed on seats in each bus, placed on benches, buildings and shelters at the Blake and Ypsilanti Transit Centers
- Each bus has a yellow line on the floor that marks a 6-foot distance between the driver and riders
- Each bus is now considered to be full when 15 riders are on board. Once there are 15 riders on board, the driver will contact a dispatcher to send another bus to serve remaining passengers along the route.
- Riders, if able, are to board from the rear door, unless they need to use the ramp
- The Blake Transit Center, Ypsilanti Transit Center and TheRide’s front desk at 2700 S. Industrial are temporarily closed
- No fares are being collected
“We remain dedicated to getting essential employees to their jobs and to help our community make essential trips to the grocery store or pharmacy,” Bryan Smith, Deputy CEO of Operations at TheRide said. “We ask that those that do not need to travel for essential reasons to stay home. In addition, we ask those that must travel do so while respecting social distancing guidelines.”
In addition to social distancing measures, TheRide is also taking extra precautions for their staff and riders:
- All vehicles and facilities are being regularly cleaned and high-touch areas disinfected with protocols as recommended by the CDC
- All staff continue to receive a supply of sanitization supplies and are encouraged to follow the CDC’s hygiene guidelines
- TheRide has instituted social distancing among employee work environments, with many staff working remotely, all business travel canceled, and in-person meetings discouraged
TheRide remains dedicated to the health and safety of its riders and employees and reminds riders and employees of healthy habits from the CDC:
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick
- Stay home when you are sick, if possible. This helps prevent spreading your illness to others
- Cover your mouth and nose when coughing or sneezing
- Wash your hands often to help keep germs away. If soap and water are unavailable, use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces
- Wear cloth face coverings in public settings
The latest information on TheRide’s routes, schedules and detours is available in the Ride Guide, at (734) 996-0400 and on TheRide.org.